There’s a famous story we all know that goes like this. A woman lived in this beautiful place. Everything she had need of was there. She was in love with her husband, and with her God. She was content, for all her needs and wants were met, even though there was one restriction – she was not to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. But this creature, this serpent, this being of light, came and told her, “Why be content? Of course you can eat this fruit. Your God doesn’t want you to be like Him, for God knows that in the day you eat it, then your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be as a god, knowing good and evil.”
Now think – if that were true, why did God place this fruit in the garden in the first place? He didn’t have to create it. Adam and Eve never would have eaten it, never gained that knowledge, and never have lost their place. Yet Yahweh did place the tree there, the temptation, the possibility of disobedience, and there it was. Perhaps it was a cruel trick, meant to torment Adam and Eve for eternity, to torture them as they saw the delectable fruit, day after day, calling to them, “Eat me! I’m juicy, and sweet, and will make you wise beyond your wildest imaginations.” Or perhaps creating this plant had a different purpose. It all depends on what character we think God has. Is He good, or does He like to torment us? Are there boundaries for us, or are we limitless, as…..a god?
As my entire faith was laid waste in the “Believe-nothing-question-everything” environment of university, there were two truths I could not reason away – God exists, and God is good. Nature alone tells me this, just as Paul espouses in his letter to the Romans. So I lean completely towards the former choice. If so, then what is the problem with knowing good and evil? Well, there is something I am seeing, and watching, and I am putting out a clarion call to anyone that has the ears to hear it. The clamouring after knowledge, of all types and kinds of knowledge, and the breaking of boundaries, is growing, and leaping beyond anything we could have ever imagined. The “bringer of knowledge” is tickling the ears of those who are listening, and it is leading us towards another Tower of Babel. God said then that “nothing will be restrained from (us), that we have imagined to do.” We are now at another day, when mankind is becoming one again, and the thoughts of men’s hearts are continually bent towards evil.
Whatever the result is, it will be cataclysmic, and that’s not an understatement.
What is this knowledge moving towards? Is it moving towards:
- finding sustainable energy for all peoples of the earth to use?
- growing quality food for all peoples of the earth to eat?
- providing cheap, long lasting shelter for all peoples of the earth to live in?
- providing quality health care, though most health problems would easily deteriorate with the improvement of the above topics?
The answer is no. Until you finally open your blasted eyes and realize that your leaders do NOT have your best interests at heart, that they are NOT simply making stupid mistakes, you will continue to sit around watching LOST (how appropriate) and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, or vainly attempt to elect another powerless local representative to “Christianize” Ottawa or Washington. Why can I say this? Consider what we see instead, MASSIVE funding and time going towards:
- particle smashing – the CERN collider cost a staggering 9,000,000,000 dollars, and more because of cost overruns and breakdowns. The yearly operating budget is on top of this. Theoretically, it could create miniature black holes, or even open portals to other dimensions.
- space research – why do we spend so much time and resources on something that is simply so far off? Don’t we have enough to clean up down here? Do we really think that most of the earth will ever see the benefits? Or will it go only to the few that can afford it?
- nanotechnology – Vaccines have been produced that deliver the dose through a “nano-patch”, and robots have been developed that are smaller than the eye can see. Man is literally learning how to create things at the atomic level, building structures atom by atom.
- robotics – The ability to navigate surfaces, walk more human like, shake a hand, and use garbage, or dead corpses in the battlefield, as biofuel (like a stomach…) are examples of how robotics is changing rapidly. Visions of Neo gazing out over millions of fellow humans batteries rise here.
- cybernetics – the merging of man and machine is taking off. There are toys now that allow the user to manipulate objects on a screen, or even the airflow that causes a ping pong ball to rise, with just their brain. This is now old news in the field, as the reverse engineering of the body is growing every day.
- genetically modified foods – in the name of feeding the earth, corporations like Monsanto, arguably one of the most evil corporations ever to become a person (and here), has created and monopolized the world’s food industry with their genetically modified seeds. Watch “The World According to Monsanto“. Just so you know, Monsanto created PCBs and Agent Orange. Instead of helping to form farming practices like Joel Salatin at Polyface Farms, or Vandana Shiva of India, Monsanto would rather control it all.
- cloning – cloned meat is now in the American food supply and in the British food supply.
- DNA research, leading to things like bringing back extinct species. Soon there will be a DNA store, where you can purchase pieces of DNA for your own basement laboratory.
- DNA manipulation, mixing animals with plants, and even humans. Now think: if scientists have mixed animals and humans, what haven’t they done? Or if they haven’t done it, where will they stop? They already have patents on 20% of your own genes!!!
- Studies that are seeking out any beings that are not of this world – the SOPHIA project
Billions of aid, the world over, was raised for Haiti. Yet the country is still in squalor. The people have hardly seen any of it. And this is symptomatic of the whole system. Money is not being spent on making people’s lives better. It’s being spent on the ever growing tree of knowledge.
Consider Technocalyps, a mind blowing documentary that summarizes extremely well the burgeoning Transhumanism movement. From the website: “The accelerating advances in genetics, brain research, artificial intelligence, bionics and nanotechnology seem to converge to one goal: to overcome human limits and create higher forms of intelligent life and to create transhuman life.”
Transhumanism is a fledging movement, and so is hard to pin down concretely. According to Wikipedia, it
“is an international intellectual and cultural movement supporting the use of science and technology to improve human mental and physical characteristics and capacities. The movement regards aspects of the human condition, such as disability, suffering, disease, aging, and involuntary death as unnecessary and undesirable. Transhumanists look to biotechnologies and other emerging technologies for these purposes. Dangers, as well as benefits, are also of concern to the transhumanist movement.
The term “transhumanism” is symbolized by H+ or h+ and is often used as a synonym for “human enhancement”. Although the first known use of the term dates from 1957, the contemporary meaning is a product of the 1980s when futurists in the United States began to organize what has since grown into the transhumanist movement. Transhumanist thinkers predict that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with such greatly expanded abilities as to merit the label “posthuman”. Transhumanism is therefore sometimes referred to as “posthumanism” or a form of transformational activism influenced by posthumanist ideals.”
Another transhuman guru is Nick Bostrom. From his paper Transhumanist Values:
“Transhumanists view human nature as a work-in-progress, a half-baked beginning that we can learn to remold in desirable ways. Current humanity need not be the endpoint of evolution. Transhumanists hope that by responsible use of science, technology, and other rational means we shall eventually manage to become posthuman, beings with vastly greater capacities than present human beings have.”
According to Ray Kurzweil, “There’s even exponential growth in the rate of exponential growth. Within a few decades, machine intelligence will surpass human intelligence, leading to The Singularity — technological change so rapid and profound it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history.” Knowledge is doubling faster and faster. It only goes to reason that at some point, it will grow so fast that it will break a “barrier”. This is called the Singularity. It is that moment in time when man ceases to be man, and begins to be transhuman, post human, greater than human…..a god.
This summer, there is going to be a conference in San Francisco called The Singularity Summit. It’s now a yearly conference, and by no means the only one of it’s kind. A brief look at some of the offerings include, AI Against Aging, Reverse Engineering Brains is Within Reach, Modifying the Boundary Between Life and Death, and Nonhuman Intelligence: Where we Are and Where We’re Headed. Lest you think that this is just the gathering of a bunch of quacks, Transhumanism and all its components not only have huge amounts of dollars to work with, but also some of the greatest minds in the world working towards its goals.
What are we doing? What is all this about? Why in God’s green earth should we care? Because what God created isn’t good enough. God’s ways aren’t enough. We can do it better. We can do it better than our own Creator.
Let’s look again at the Tower of Babel – “Behold, the people are one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do; and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.” Those are God’s words – as we become one on this earth, nothing that we imagine to do will be impossible for us. If we can dream it, we can do it. There’s only one problem; we still have this heart of flesh that is bent towards evil, a result of that first fruit eating that Adam and Eve had.
The feathered serpent, the dragon, the snake, Lucifer, is traditionally, in most cultures of the world, recognized as the bringer of wisdom and knowledge. I quote from a satanic site: “Satan is the bringer of knowledge. The goal of Spiritual Satanism is to apply this knowledge and transform our souls into godhead, as was originally intended by our Creator God Satan.”
This is the goal. If one looks into many cultures of the past, whether they be Sumerian, Egyptian, Mayan, or Aztec, this is where the gods lead, to an enlightenment that brings mankind into godhood.
Man is dabbling, nay, actively pursuing….no, even that is too weak. Man is now locating and opening doors, in all the areas that God has set limits on. “Every animal after its kind” is no longer on the table. It’s goats with spiders. The very genetic code of life is in jeopardy. GMO corn is now out in the biosphere, and we’re never going to be able to remove it. What are the long term implications? The scientists, and those who fund them, don’t care. The entire earth is now one giant laboratory, and we are all part of the experiment.
Is it just greed? I learned awhile back now when I read The Shock Doctrine that greed is not enough to explain the moral vacuum of the decisions that are made on this globe. Is it just lust for power? That’s much closer.
In the end, it is the desire of certain people to open more and more doors, so that finally, doors can be opened to usher in the darkest age ever known to man, when the gods of the ancients will return once again.
It’s not time to be Kingdom building. The Kingdom of God is within people’s hearts – it’s internal, not external. It’s not time to be saving for your retirement. There’s not going to be one. It’s not time to plan vacations, or build a new house, or remodel the bathroom, or purchase the next gizmo from China (please click this one if you think our lifestyle here is Godly), or look forward to the next Super Bowl Party. It’s time to purify ourselves. It’s time to humble ourselves and repent of the blood on our hands, of our casualness, of our sin against Father’s pure and holy, and simply much better, ways. Our Bridegroom is coming. He’s coming for a Bride without spot or wrinkle, one that is anticipating His return, looking for His coming, and knows His voice.
“For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.” Matthew 16:25